There is a sign posted walking tour of Old Galway City which starts at the
The Bank of Ireland
Built in 1836, houses the Galway Civic Sword and Mace which where authority
symbols of the Mayor and Corporation, dating back to the 16th and 17th Centuries
Eyre Square Shopping Centre
Contains a restored section of the Medieval City Wall with Penrice Tower at the
northern end and Shoemakes Tower standing above an entry leading to an
underground section of the 1647 bastion.
was the original name for the open area in front of the city gates. It was
officially presented to the city in 1670 by the Mayor, Edward Eyre (hence the
name Eyre Square)
The Browne Doorway
Dated 1627, was originally the entrance to the Browne family mansion in
Abbeygate Street. Moved to its current position in 1904 by the Galway
These two 19th century iron cannon were brought back from the Crimean war
1854-56 by the local regiment - The Connaught Rangers.
Erected in 1984, Eamon O'Doherty's work commemorates the 500th Anniversary of
the incorporation of Galway City as a borough with Mayoral Status. It symbolises
the importance of the sea for trade in Galway.
The O'Conaire Statue
Depicts Padraic O'Conaire (1882 - 1928) a pioneer writer of modern Gaelic.
The Liam Mellows Statue
Liam Mellows led one of the few military engagements outside Dublin during the
Easter Rising 1916.
Once the home of 64 Lynch Mayors, its impressive stone facade is filled with
carvings and coats of arms of gentry.
Lynch Memorial Window
19th century memorial of James Lynch the "stern and unbending" Mayor who hung
his son from this window in 1493 for the murder of a Spanish Youth.
Nora Barnacle Museum
Nora Barnacle, the wife of the novelist James Joyce, lived here and Joyce wrote
some poems and articles on Galway here in 1909 and 1912.
The Collegiate Church of St. Nicolas of Myra
Built in 1320, this is one of the largest medieval parish churches in Ireland
and is dedicated to the patron saint of travellers. The church contains
elaborate tombs, chapels and some of the finest examples of Galway's medieval
stone carvings and flags of forgotten wars.
King's Head Pub
It is said that the ghost of James Gunning, executioner of King Charles I,
haunts the pub.
Tigh Neachtains Pub
Has a fine oriel window dating from the 18th century.
Galway's most important medieval street is home to Busker Browne's Pub which
contains part of the 'Slate Nunnery', given to the Dominican nuns in 1686 by
John Kirwan. Further down the lane is were Wolfe Tone played in the little
theatre founded by 'Humanity' Dick Martin in the 18th century.
The residence of another of the famous tribes of Galway can be found at the
corner of Kirwan's Lane and Quay Street.
Besides the former main quays of Galway, so named in memory of the Spanish
Merchants who used to assemble here. At the entrance is a sculptor donated by
the people of Genoa in 1993 in memory of Christoper Columbus' landing in 1477.
These two arches are the remains of the 1584 extension of the city walls and are
now considered one of the finest examples of medieval walling in Ireland.
Galway City Museum
Houses various aspects of Galway's Past and was formerly the residence of Clare
Sheridan the sculptress.
The area was a famous fishing village, of about 3,000, with its own laws and
King. Although Irish is no longer the spoken language and the thatch cottages
have been replaced, much of the custom remains, notably the Claddagh marraige
ring. St. Mary's, the Dominican Church Houses a 17th Century wooden statue of
"Our Lady of Galway"
The Bridge Mills
Two mills, one is a converted grain mill the another had a variety of uses
including a wollen mills.
The Grain Store
Another example of a recently restored building.
Salmon Weir Bridge
Cathedral of our Lady Assumed into Heaven and St. Nicholas
Erected on the site of an old jail in 1965, this massive church is constructed
in Galway limestone with green Connemara marble floors and was one of the last
Cathedrals in Europe made from stone.
The National University of Ireland, Galway was officially opened in 1849.
This unique salmon fishery lies on the River Corrib and flows just 5 miles from
Lough Corrib to Galway Bay.
Courthouse and Town Hall Theatre
These two buildings stand opposite each other.
Located on part of the site of the Friary founded in 1296 by William Liath de
General Post Office